This Design Engineer will perform design and release functions for Foundation Brake components on passenger car and light truck applications. Specific experience in the design and application of caliper brake assemblies is required. Additional experience in the design of drum brake assemblies for both service and parking applications is also desirable.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Adapt existing foundation brake designs to new customer applications. Provide design innovations as needed to achieve project goals. Maintain design engineering ownership of project from concept through project launch.
2. Perform and comprehend the necessary calculations required to select brake size, predict output, assure function and achieve customer requested performance. Request and act upon FEA, NVH and other CAE support information as needed to make appropriate engineering decisions.
3. Act as project leader to gather and understand all related program information, maintain Project Evidence Binders, liaise with customer on technical issues, and interface with other departments as needed.
4. Organize and conduct project design reviews with internal management, at manufacturing plants, with customer and at component suppliers as needed.
5. Direct CAD designers in execution of brake application packaging, design modifications and production of solid models and detail drawings. Check drawings as presented by designers. Prepare associated release documents (EN).
6. Prepare and deliver presentation materials in support of new program proposals and as
needed during a project to communicate information.
7. Provide problem solving capability for brake related project issues, both in-house and with the customer on specific applications. Track and close project Open Issues related to product design.
8. Generate and update DFMEA for brake designs, follow-up on action items to address high Severity and RPN items.
9. Maintain awareness of program timing milestones related to design engineering and achieve target timing for design tasks.
10. Perform all required functions on multiple applications simultaneously. Work within established ISO procedures and work instructions and observe established Design Manual guidelines for brake design.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Bachelor's degree in Engineering (B. S.) from four-year college or university is minimally required; Masters Degree in Engineering (M. S.) will receive higher consideration.
3 - 5 years job experience directly related to foundation brake design engineering at a company which supplies the passenger car and light truck market.
Additional experience in design and release of related mechanical devices, including other foundation brake components, is also acceptable.
The following are general requirements for an engineering position at Akebono Corporation:
LANGUAGE SKILLS - Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format. Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS - Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference, and fundamentals of plane and solid geometry and trigonometry. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
REASONING ABILITY - Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS - Valid driver's license required.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS - The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand. The employee is occasionally required to walk; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT - The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
|Akebono Brake Corp.|
State or Province