Labor Market Info
Outreach & Teaching
Testing & Assessment
Trabaja en el Gobierno
Directorio del Servicio Nacional de Empleo
Working in Canada
Education & Training
Director, R & D Materials Science
SUMMARY OF DUTIES
Conceives, plans, and conducts research in problem areas of engineering and chemistry of considerable scope and complexity. Responsible for managing Research and Development Engineers and Technicians as directed by the Vice President. Perform as chief expert in areas of Materials Science, Chemistry, and Laboratory Testing.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS PERFORMED
• Provide leadership for Merit personnel in areas relating to the principals of material and chemistry; educate fellow personnel where required.
• Develops, improves, and customizes products, formulas, processes, equipment, and analytical methods.
• Set up and run a Materials Science and Chemistry Lab, to include creating and monitoring safety procedures.
• Develops appropriate technologies relating to materials and chemistry.
• Assists in due diligence of new products and core technology acquisitions.
• Directs departmental staff by interviewing, hiring, training, performance evaluation, discipline, and other related duties.
• Evaluate and propose new capabilities regarding materials and chemistry that are viable business opportunities.
• Communicates with external suppliers, FDA, and customers as well as internal functional groups.
• Provide legal support relating to materials.
• Develops and validates test methods.
• Assists in setting up income material test methods.
• Assists in material selection, troubleshooting, as well as deformulation.
• Supports Manufacturing, Engineering, R&D, Sales, and Marketing with analytical data.
• Performs other related duties and tasks as required.
ESSENTIAL PHYSICAL/ENVIRONMENTAL DEMANDS
• Lifting -- Not to exceed 50 lbs. – local practice may apply.
• Color perception
• Depth perception
• Field of vision/peripheral
• Fine motor skills
SUMMARY OF MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
• Education and/or experience equivalent to a Bachelor's Degree in Chemistry or related scientific discipline.
• Work related experience of at least ten years in chemical research and development, with five of those years in a management role.
• Medical device manufacturing industry experience preferred.
• Proficient in material testing procedures and ability to run and interpret materials instrumentation.
• Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills.
• Excellent written & verbal communication skills.
• Ability to independently apply analytical skills, complex scientific technical principles, and detailed knowledge in solving engineering problems.
• Problem solving and conflict management skills.
• Working knowledge of United States and international standards as applicable to the department.
• Demonstrated computer skills preferably spreadsheets, word processing, database and other applicable software programs.
• Materials/chemical technology development
• Report writing
• Statistical analysis
• Computer skills
Infectious Control Risk Category II:
The risk category explains whether or not employees are likely to come into contact with blood or body fluids while performing their jobs. Risk category II states employment and procedures that may require exposure.
Merit Medical Systems, Inc., an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V, is a dynamic, progressive and innovative company with a strong global presence. Our culture is highly energetic, family friendly, values its employees, and promotes them as standard business practice. Merit currently has the following opening at its Corporate headquarters in South Jordan, Utah in our R&D Department. Excellent compensation and benefits packages will be offered to the right candidate.
Merit Medical Systems, Inc. (NASDAQ, MMSI) was founded in 1987 by Fred P. Lampropoulos and Kent W. Stanger, Chief Financial Officer. Merit develops, manufactures and markets single-use medical devices primarily for diagnosing and treating cardiovascular and vascular disease. Merit has been successful in introducing and marketing innovative, high-quality products through its expertise in new product design and its capabilities in injection and insert molding of plastics; the application of its proprietary electronic and sensor-based technologies; and wire, extrusion and catheter technologies. The Company is utilizing its competitive advantages and technologies to develop and offer products that address a wide range of needs related to cardiology and radiology procedures performed in hospitals. Sales are made primarily to U.S. hospitals through a direct sales force. The Company markets its products in over 60 countries worldwide, utilizing a direct sales force in Europe, and distributors for the remainder of the world.
Merit Medical Systems, Inc.
State or Province
Terms and Conditions
©2000-2008 Candidate Seeker, Inc.
©2000-2011 Portal Prodigy, Inc. NJ, USA.All Rights Reserved.