|This is a product design and development position at Thorlabs-Ann Arbor (TAA), a wholly owned subsidiary of Thorlabs, Inc. The charter of TAA is to design, develop, and manufacture leading edge photonics and opto-electronics products in concert with the broad technical base of Thorlabs’ other business units. TAA is committed to a customer-centered strategy, and is an active member of the Michigan photonics R&D community.
· Provide full mechanical design support for new product development
· Design and deploy fixturing for both development and manufacturing functions
This includes full mechanical support through the NPI process
· Maintain documentation for the product development process
This includes creating and maintaining all official title block drawings
· Create assembly and test work instructions; train personnel
· Design products suitable for lean manufacturing techniques
· Verify & test product designs with theoretical models and simulations
· Specify & purchase all mechanical parts; interact with vendors
· Coordinate mechanical designs with optical and electrical requirements
· Design and develop hermetic and high-reliability opto-electronic packages
· Interact with local and remote machine shops for production services
· Develop internal machining capability for prototyping/ low-volume work
· Interface with manufacturing engineering function
In addition to the essential functions and duties listed above, all positions are also responsible for:
?Meeting company standards pertaining to quantity and quality of work performed on an ongoing basis, performing all work related tasks in a manner that is in compliance with all Company policies and procedures.
?Adhering to Company policies, procedures, and directives regarding standards of workplace behavior in completing job duties and assignments.
The Company retains the right to change or assign other duties to this position.
· BS or MS in mechanical engineering or related field
· 5+ years of precision, high-quality, high-rel., product design experience
· Expert with mechanical design software (e.g. Solidworks)
· Experience with FEA modelling for thermal and/or stress analysis
· Comfortable with fusion of optical, electrical, and mechanical design elements
· Knowledge of fiber-optic products and assembly fixturing techniques
· History in design of semi-automated fixturing (pneumatics, electro-mechanical, etc.)
· Experience with die level semiconductor handling and assembly a plus
· Candidate must be detail oriented, highly organized, & able to document work
· Candidate must have excellent written and oral communication skills
· History with establishing internal machine shop function
· Comfortable in start-up type environment; self-motivated individual
State or Province