|The Metals Process Engineer will provide expert technical input on material selection, design and manufacturing of metal based component parts and subassemblies in support of New Product Development (NPD) efforts for innovative surgical devices. As a key member of project Extended Teams, The Metals Process Engineer will confer with R&D to specify part and subassembly design characteristics to optimize manufacturability, functionality, cost and quality. He/she will also work directly with Procurement and suppliers in support of tooling and fixture design, manufacturing process strategy and the production part qualification process to meet or exceed project milestones and overall business Time to Market (TTM) requirements. The Metals ProcessEngineer will work under the direction of an Advanced Engineering Manager in a fast paced collaborative environment supportive of program initiatives and compliant with company best practices. In addition, he/she will serve to mentor and guide entry and mid-level Engineers to assist with the completion of program related tasks and objectives.
1. With an understanding of complex product designs and component interactions, specify part material selections and design features to effectively balance functionality with manufacturability and cost.
2. Participate in R&D Engineering meetings and Quality Design FMEA meetings.
3. Complete and document Design for Manufacturability (DFM) analyses and drive effective resolutions with R&D pertaining to any identified risks.
4. Participant in the Capital Expense Request (CER) process, specifying costs for Component Tooling and any related Test or Inspection Fixtures, with consideration to product standard cost targets and capacity demands.
5. Contributor to project business studies, providing Engineering Estimates of production component parts and subassemblies based on knowledge of materials and processing costs.
6. Key team member in the supplier selection process, including the definition of tooling and manufacturing process strategies.
7. Facilitate Early Supplier Involvement (ESI) technical meetings, effectively document agreements and risks, and drive closure of open action items.
8. Generate electronic Purchase Requisitions based on quotations from selected suppliers for build of Capital Tooling and qualification of Production Processes.
9. Strategic supplier contact during tool fabrication and part qualification, providing technical support and project management resources.
10. Lead function and organization awareness of new technology advances associated with metal materials and manufacturing processes to support continued innovation.
11. Execute Materials Engineering product transfer deliverables from Pilot to the receiving Plant.
12. Advise Management of any unmitigated risks and/or developments that could affect TTM or standard cost.
DEPARTMENT SPECIFIC/NON-ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
1. Other duties as assigned with or without accommodation.
2. Travel to supplier sites required.
3. Mentor employees for professional development
4. Continue to enhance engineering and leadership skills through additional training and education.
Required: BS Mechanical or Manufacturing Engineering, or Equivalent
Preferred: MS Mechanical or Manufacturing Engineering
Min 5 yrs. applicable experience
Demonstrated knowledge of DFMEA and PFMEA.
Demonstrated knowledge of GD&T.
Demonstrated knowledge of DFM & DFA principles.
Significant metal manufacturing process experience, including Metal Stamping, CNC Machining, MIM, Powdered Metal, Casting and Zinc Die Casting.
Significant experience with medium to high volume component part and subassembly manufacturing best practices.
Strong familiarity with statistical analyses, including process capability, process control, Design of Experiments, etc…
Strong understanding of Production Part Approval Process (PPAP) for component part qualification.
Exceptional Project Management and Team Leadership skills.
Ability to work across global business units.
Drive for Results
Cross Cultural Respect
Creative Problem Solving
State or Province