|Company: Norfolk Southern is one of the nation's premier transportation companies specializing in freight railroading. We operate approximately 21,000 route miles in 22 states and the District of Columbia, serve every major container port in the eastern United States, and provide efficient connections to other rail carriers. Norfolk Southern has the most extensive intermodal network in the East and is a major transporter of coal and industrial products.
We are a team of more than 28,000 employees working together to maintain our reputation as ""The Thoroughbred of Transportation"". As an industry leader, Norfolk Southern offers a competitive salary and an excellent benefits package.
Work Conditions: Environment: Outdoor/Field
Shift Work: No
Weekend Work: No
Travel Required: 6 - 10 Days per Month Job Description: The Senior Metallurgical Engineer is responsible for the supervision and direction of the overall engineering aspects of the metallurgical/materials engineering section of the Physical Laboratory.
- Interfaces with all levels of Norfolk Southern management as well as representatives of other railroads and the rail supply industry on technical issues.
- Represents Norfolk Southern on technical and research committees as may be assigned.
- This position requires the ability to use and apply extensive engineering and railroad operations knowledge to achieve project objectives.
-Supervise and direct the day-to-day administration of the metallurgical/materials engineering section of the Physical Laboratory to progress research and engineering activities, which will promote Company growth, efficiency and safety.
-Provide failure analysis and expert investigation pertaining to incidents, which may or may not include litigation. The incumbent must resolve questions of manufacturers-™ responsibility in premature service failures, and must determine whether structural components of equipment or track contributed to derailments.
-Apply technical expertise and scientific methods in on-site derailment investigations to determine correct causes and make recommendations to prevent recurrences.
-Provide technical expertise on a system-wide basis to solve problems related to production, welding, safety, quality and heat treatment.
-Design and conduct field tests to evaluate real world environment for railroad components (including but not limited to rolling stock, maintenance of way and fixed facilities).
-Provide non-destructive testing (NDT) expertise on a corporate level.
Minimum Level: 3 years
Preferred Level: 6 years
Preferred Level: Master's Degree
Minimum: Bachelor-™s Degree
- Engineering - Metallurgical or Materials Science with Specialization in Metallurgy
Licenses / Certifications
- Professional Engineer License
- Six Sigma Black Belt
- Microsoft PowerPoint, Access Database, Excel, Word and Project
Skills and Abilities
- Analytical Thinking,
- Identifying and Considering Alternatives
- Planning and Organizing
- Decision Making
State or Province