|Functional Area: Legal SBU: 85100 - Risk Management Claims
Position Type: Full - Time
Education Required: Juris Doctor
Experience Required: 5 - 7 Years
Relocation Provided: No
The Hanover Insurance Group is seeking a Trial Attorney to join its Staff Counsel.
The candidate would work primarily out of Mt. Laurel, New Jersey office, and the majority of their caseload would be comprised of cases pending in South Jersey. Optimally the successful candidate would also be licensed in Pennsylvania and able to handle select cases in Philadelphia County, Pa and surrounding Pa counties as well.
Duties would include handling the defense of civil litigation cases of moderate exposure and complexity from the inception of the lawsuit until conclusion through dismissal, settlement or trial.
- Working with adjuster and clients to resolve claims as expeditiously and efficiently as possible;
- Meeting with clients and claims professionals to resolve cases in the most cost effective manner;
- Preparation of answers, development of theories, strategies and affirmative defenses to incoming lawsuits;
- Engaging in discovery, research and motion practice consistent with effective case handling;
- Preparation of arbitration statements and attendance at arbitrations;
- Preparation and exchange of pre-trial information;
- Preparation of witnesses in anticipation of trial; and handling ""first chair"" trial responsibilities of moderate exposure cases through conclusion.
Essential Skills and Experience:
- Minimum of 3 years of litigation experience.
- Must have a valid driver's license, an acceptable MVR and an ability to maintain confidentiality.
- Must be admitted to the bar and licensed to practice law in the State of New Jersey.
- Pennsylvania license and experience in practicing before the courts of Pennsylvania would be a plus.
Communication: Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills with knowledge and ability to deliberately and precisely communicate thoughts, opinions and legal positions.
Organization Skills: Must have the ability to categorize and prioritize work and information to effectively maximize productivity.
Legal Research: Must demonstrate the ability to locate cases, treaties, codified laws and statutes aimed at the discovery and interpretation of law and to draw a reasonable and accurate conclusion or render an opinion there from.
Courtroom Skills:Must have appropriate experience and background in trial practice, procedures and techniques. Must be cognizant and follow appropriate courtroom behavior, attire and decorum.
Desired technical skills and experience:
- Computer literacy, including proficiency in MS Word, Lexis/Westlaw, and daily management of e-mail and calendar.
- Able to work in a team environment with other attorneys, adjusters and other claims professionals and support staff.
Physical demands & work environment:
- Ability to use a personal computer and other standard office equipment.
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle.
- Ability to travel as necessary. Ability to sit and/or stand for extended periods
Benefits To Joining The Hanover Team:
- Competitive Pay and Benefits
- Retirement/401(k) Program
- Beneficiary and Ability Assist Programs
- Travel Assistance Program
- Adoption Benefit
- Wellness Programs
- Matching Education Gifts Plan
- Employee Development/Education Assistance and Professional/Industry Designation Programs
- Generous ""Time Off With Pay""
The Hanover Insurance Group, Inc. (NYSE: THG), based in Worcester, Mass., is the holding company for a group of insurers that includes The Hanover Insurance Company, also based in Worcester; Citizens Insurance Company of America, headquartered in Howell, Mich., and their affiliates. The Hanover offers a wide range of property and casualty products and services to individuals, families and businesses through an extensive network of independent agents, and has been meeting its obligations to its agent partners and their customers for more than 150 years. Taken as a group, The Hanover ranks among the top 40 property and casualty insurers in the United States.>
Job Segments: Attorney, Claims, Finance, Insurance, Law, Legal, Research, Risk Management
|Hanover Insurance Co|
State or Province